Thursday, September 3, 2009

Goodbye August, Hello September!

Hello my Miguk friends and family!
Well, I don't think I've given an actual update in a while (a month I think). I apologize AGAIN, because as I've said before, communication is not my best or strongest point. But here goes my next offering.

I think I sent everyone pictures of the baseball game and church picnic I attended on August 16th and 17th. They were both alot of fun.
The baseball game was kind of organized chaos as it took forever for us to finally get organized, loaded up, and into the stadium. One thing about Korean baseball is that you don't have vendors selling anything in the stands. And there's no food/drink stands inside the stadium. People load up on food sold by vendors outside the stadium and bring it in. There isn't a "no food" policy here. Quite the opposite. Our group got a ton of kimbab and chicken for the munchies.
The picnic was held at a park near Palgong Mountain and had a nice lake and great scenery as well. We played soccer volleyball and regular soccer, badminton, and threw around baseballs. I brought my guitar to play on and I sat under a tree for a good bit playing by myself. We also played Bible trivia and had a drawing for prizes. I got a wodden roller for massaging. All in all, it was a good time of fellowship and fun.

Teaching at the hagwon is going well. One of our ENT teachers (my British housemate) is leaving on the 16th, and so I am going to take over his preschool classes and four other classes of his. That will increase my teaching load to about 38-40 classes per week. I don't really mind too much because usually the more work I get, the better I seem to operate. My schedule will now start at 9:50 am and finish at 7:00-8:00 pm. I'll get a break in between teaching my preschool classes and teaching the PM ones. I am getting to know some of the Korean teachers better and have fun discussing with them the does and don'ts of Korean culture.

Well, my experience at the Korean church service keeps getting better. I am now a part of two small groups. One is the year 84 group that I've mentioned before and we get together about once a month or so. We also divided into smaller groups of around 4 people each to get even more personal. My group consists of Eu-Na, Mi-Sun, Duk-Gyu, and myself. I also became involved in a small group that studies through various passages of scripture each week after the service. They are a very nice group of people and the leader can speak some English which he uses to help me get the gist of what is being said. Everyone in both groups are very helpful in my quest to learn Korean. In fact, sometimes they are so enthusiastic I feel a little overwhelmed. One of the guys said to me "I want you to learn Korean very quickly so we can talk a lot together." (translation) The Bible study small group is going to the countryside for an outing on the 26th so I am very excited for that.

I have been hiking in the mountains a few more times and it is such a great way to enjoy the scenery of Korea. My hiking companions told me I was a very good hiker, so I guess I am doing OK even though I've never done mountain hiking before. Korea is 75% mountain so there is a virtually endless variety to choose from.

I came down with a cold of sorts on the 7th of this month and I haven't been able to shake the resulting cough yet. It's a little annoying but I'm hoping it goes away soon. I've been eating yogurt almost every day here in an attempt to keep lots of good bacteria going in my stomach and so far I think its working. I have enjoyed yet another item of the Korean cuisine, delicious galbi. It is marinated meat (your selection) that you cook up on a small grill that is built right into the table. They bring all sorts of good things to mix and eat with it including onion slices soaked in a brown sweet sauce. MMMHHHMMM! So good!

Well, that's all for now I guess.
Annyong!

No comments:

Post a Comment