Thursday, April 8, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things (and least)

Hello again! Well, I feel sort of proud of myself for getting another post out so soon. I find that sharing is lots of fun but takes lots of time too. However, as I am getting closer to the anniversary of my first year here, I wanted to share some of my favorite things about Korea and also some of the least favorites. We'll start with favorites.

Favorites:
Korean Food!!
As much as I love Italian food and mushroom chicken spaghetti, I have to confess that my affinity for eating pasta continuously has shrunk. Used to, when there was lots of leftovers from lasagna or spaghetti, I'd have it for 3 days straight and savor each bite every time. But living in Korea has done something to me. After my second night of eating leftover spaghetti, I realized I was craving Korean food...or more specifically, RICE! I was coming home from the gym and I just had to stop and eat at a Korean place because I couldn't hardly stand the thought of going another day without rice. What is happening to me?! I keep thinking about all the things I want to eat when I get back to the states but this recent revelation makes me wonder if I won't be craving Korean food a few days into my visit. Well, I guess the upside to all this is that it will be a good reason to look forward to coming back.

Korean People!!
Going from a society that is built on individualism and diversity to a homogeneous and generally uniform culture makes for quite a change that Americans go through when they step onto Korean soil. However, I've enjoyed observing the more collective Koreans interact with each other. In my opinion, they better Americans in the areas of respect, service, and loyalty. I also find that children here actually behave like children instead of little adults, which is often the case in westernized countries. Most of all, I enjoy sights like the one I saw recently in the supermarket. I separately observed two boys with their mothers and each boys was linked arm in arm with their mom, chatting away and exhibiting a closeness which I would never see from two almost teen-aged boys in America. From what I can tell, Koreans have a healthy filial respect and a deep bond with their parents that westerners could take a lesson from.

Korean Nature!
When you live surrounded by fantastic scenery and mountains, its hard not to be sucked into the nature addicted lifestyle modeled by many Koreans. Some go hiking every week-end and there are always scads of people at the parks. Their national parks and trails are also maintained very well so there is really nothing to hinder one from fully enjoying all that nature has to offer.

Korean Open Markets!!
These are some of the best places to find bargains for things and they are also always buzzing with activity and color. I like to just people watch when I go sometimes. Koreans who go on a regular basis know all the best stalls to buy from (when there are 30 stalls in a row all selling the same thing, I still don't know how they can discern this). Also colorful and bustling, but less entertaining is the shopping district where pretty much anything of fashion and popularity can be found.

Ok, now for the least favorites:

Being so far away!
Sometimes the homesickness can really get to me. I've been told that I write/express all positive things and feelings about my time here and don't share any of my struggles. So here it is. I really miss home sometimes. There have been times where I've questioned what I'm doing here and if it's really worth it. There have been times that buying the ticket to the next flight out was shockingly tempting. The only thing that has kept me going and kept me here is the firm belief that this is where God wants me and this is where He has brought me. If I didn't have that to cling to, I'd have run home long ago.

Language/Communication!
Don't misunderstand. I love the Korean language and I am working on learning it. It's just the difficulties you run across at times when you need/want something can be frustrating when you are still at a toddler level of a language (and at times are treated almost like such). I would love to fluently be able to express myself, and hopefully one day I will but for now, the broken sentences and frequent use of hand motions continue to be my main method of communication.

Squid/Octopus!
The one area of Korean cuisine that I genuinely do not enjoy. I have told some of my Korean friends this, and they just can't believe that a person could not like squid or octopus. The rubbery texture and smell is just too much for me though. I can't be faulted for lack of trying though as I have given them several chances. Just not for me!

Well, there you have it. Of course, I also love my new church family and being a part of the Dongshin Church body. And all my new friends that I've made too. And just a lot of little things about living here. But I'll keep it at that.

Hoping everyone is well and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment