Monday, July 27, 2009

The post you've been waiting for...picture post!

Yes, its true! I have finally taken some pictures of my classes, the kids, and a few random shots of Korea. I have no idea how to put them on here. We'll see how it goes. Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2028510&id=1404165545&l=6fdaa1876a

So, to update on the news. I have pretty much been doing the same things for the past two weeks as I was doing before. Teaching, Korean class, church, tutoring at the orphanage, etc.

In Korean class, I now have a vocabulary of about 30-40 words and some conversational phrases. Interesting tidbit; in Korea they have this saying "Please be nice to me" which you might use with a superior at work or to someone you meet because you're a foreigner. Transliterated it sounds something like "jal bu tak heyo". The girl I was working with laughed when we learned it and said she had never used that phrase before. She said the younger generation didn't use it and if I were to use it, "use ONLY with older people." I was told on Saturday by at least two people that my accent sounded very good and that I seemed to be doing well at learning a language. I hope they're right!

Teaching is going well. I now have two more classes I'm teaching. One is a special class on Monday nights for two higher level girls and the other is a brand new beginner class. There are three little girls ages 6 and 7 in it and I got the opportunity to give two of them their English names so I named them after Erika and Hannah, my sisters. They are so much fun to teach.

Saturday the 18th was tutoring day and I tutored the same little boy named Dong Min. He's really quite funny and has a great attitude. We had a birthday cake for two of the kids and then played some baseball, soccer, and football with them afterwards. This coming Saturday we are taking the kids swimming at a rec center and then the next Saturday we are taking them to a baseball game. It should be good times.

This past Saturday, I went to Outback Steakhouse (yes, they have one here!) with some people from church to celebrate the birthday of one of the church leaders. After a shockingly westernized lunch, four people of the younger, single set and I decided to go downtown and hang out. We ended up going to an arcade for awhile and playing lots of games and then Sam, the native Korean guy with us who spoke phenomenal English, asked if we wanted to go billi-bowling. I had never heard of it before but all the others had played so we went so a place called Billi-bow's for some action. It turned out the game was a combination of billiards and bowling. The alley was up on tables and you shot the billiard sized ball with a cue stick down the alley to try and knock over the miniture bowling pins. It was lots of fun but frankly, I didn't show much of a knack for it. We also played darts and I fared better there. All in all, it was good times and good fellowship.

Well, I will wrap this up. Next post should be less boring. I have a few days of vacation coming up and I am planning on going hiking on at least two mountains and going to an amusement park. There is also a very tall tower in the park that has a rotating restaurant at the top and a bungee jump of sorts for those so inclined. I think I might just do it for the experience.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment