Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 7

Day 7: Presents and Farewell

Today is bittersweet. We know we are leaving the WLH but we know that we get to give them their gifts so we are in a state of excitement for that. We have to pack up everything and load it into the bus which is driving us back to Yeongil. Riding out to the WLH for the last time is surreal for me. Was it really only 5 days ago that we bumped down this rutted road? I feel like I know every curve and pothole now. We greet our welcoming committee that has become standard for us and get down to the business of distributing the presents. As the children’s’ names are called one by one, I watch as their faces fill with joy and excitement, thankfulness and shyness at the shoes and other gifts. When it’s our class’ turn to get their presents, we are happy to see they each look thrilled with their new bags and supplies. Song Hee is so excited by her present she gives little squeals of delight and hops up and down clapping her hands. All of our group each wrote notes to the children as well, so they can read them after. When Chung Ryung’s turn comes, I stand and unstrap my watch from my wrist, saying “It’s your watch now Chung Ryung.” His look of pure joy as he looks at the watch he had worn and admired is thanks enough for me.

Sadly, the time has come for us to depart. We all begin to say our good-byes. People everywhere are hugging, crying, stammering out thank you’s and well wishes. Some of the WLH kids and our kids begin crying especially hard and their distress is hard to witness. I hug all the kids in turn and whisper in broken Korean “I love you.” And in English, “I will miss you”. There is an ache in my heart which I have felt only when leaving my own family time and time again. But I feel comfort knowing that someday, perhaps on earth and certainly in heaven, that I will see them again. We slowly tear ourselves away and begin to load the bus. It is so moving to see the WLH kids standing there, tears dripping down their faces as if they are saying good-bye to blood family. Our group all press our faces against the glass windows and return their frantic waves and tears. Soon, the dust swirls and hides them, then the bus rounds the corner and they are lost from view.

We are all exhausted emotionally and physically so the bus is quiet on the ride back. We stop at a famous Korean poet’s birthplace to visit and take photos then press on for Yeongil, arriving a little before twilight. Before grabbing dinner, Jae Young and I take some much needed rest in our room while the others go out to shop in the market. We are surprised when the kids bang on our door, declaring it is time to go to dinner. That night, we have our teacher’s meeting and Pastor Daniel outlines the details of the next day. I am glad to slip between my sheets in our hotel room, where in spite of our sleepiness, Jae Young and I talk drowsily of Korean names and fried chicken (how’s that for falling asleep conversation).

No comments:

Post a Comment