Monday, June 29, 2009

Sunday and the day that follows

Now that I have access to a computer, I intend to be more frequent in my updates. However, if you are worried that I might start an avalanche of information...not to worry. I've never won any awards in the area of good communication and I don't think I'll be up for one anytime soon. I just wanted to relay a good piece of news from Sunday.
I googled churches on Saturday night and found a few with English speaking services. One in paticular looked promising so I thought I'd go and try it out. It is located just to the north of downtown Daegu, about a forty-five minute subway ride as I had to transfer on to the other line. I got off at the right stop but I took a wrong turn (as the streets were narrow and winding) and ended up having to ask a very nice Korean lady where Dongshin church (kyoyo) was. Turns out she had just come from there but as she didn't speak English and I didn't speak Korean, she very kindly and obligingly took me personally to the church. So I got there but about 20 minutes late. The worship part had just ended and the sermon was starting. It was on faith and was from the book of James. It was good but kind of long and even though the content was sound, the preacher (who was American) was not the most natural speaker in the world. But I enjoyed getting to hear the preached Word again-in my natural language. Afterwards, I got to meet alot of the people who were there and most of them happened to be ENTs just like I am. I also met a Korean woman named Grace who was extremely welcoming and kind. She introduced me to the Korean pastor who was also very nice and then as she walked me out, she told me about different Bible studies they had. Then she mentioned that they had a Korean class which met on Saturdays. She said it was very little cost and that it would be great for me. I was explaining that I had already signed up for another class on Saturdays when she pulled the associate pastor over and he began to excitedly give more details. Turns out that this class has several tutors instead of just one instructor and who are more than willing to give one-on-one time with the students, even over the phone during the week. He said it would have alot of the ENTs who were at the service and that it would be a good opportunity of bonding and fellowship as well. SO, seeing as how I've only signed up for the other class and not paid for it, I will just return my books and tell them I changed my mind. He was very excited and so enthusiatic and warm that I couldn't help feeling the same way. I really feel like this will be a good place for me as I start my new life here.
Now it is Monday and very late. I was dragging at the school today but then I got wound up as soon as I got back home. Hmmm...not a good pattern. Anyhoo, just thought I'd share that and let everyone know that I sincerely appreciate all your prayers, love, and support. It really means a lot to know you have that at your back.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment